Student Corner


Frequently Asked Questions on Housing and accommodation in Geneva


University housing


The university has some accommodation. Please note the latest date to apply for the University's housing to the autumn semester is 15th of June.  There are other possibilities for private accommodation explained below.


Subletting - SousLocation

The sublease/sublet is a temporary provision of all or part of a home. The purpose of the sublease is a housing unit as a whole (studio apartment) or a room in an apartment.  In all cases the tenant wants to sublet must first seek permission from his landlord in writing, stipulating the conditions for subletting.


The lessor may refuse consent only:

    * If the tenant refuses to communicate the condition of the sublet

    * If the conditions are unreasonable (For example, rent too high)

    * If the sublease has considerable disadvantages for the owner (For example, change of use of premises, illegal activity on the premises)


As for subsidized housing, the tenant must apply to the Office cantonal housing (26 Rue du Stand, PC from 3937 to 1211 Geneva 3 - Phone (022) 327.56.73 - Email: info.logement@state. By law, a tenant who sublets becomes, the landlord of the subtenant. However, s/he remains responsible for all terms of the contract vis-à-vis the "main" landlord. A sublet does not create any contractual relationship between the landlord and the subtenant.

There is no standard contract to sublease a studio or apartment; however, the tenant can learn of the lease he signed himself with his landlord. To sublease a furnished room, the tenant can learn from the "sample contract of sublease furnished room." In any case, whatever the subject of the sublease, it is highly recommended the conclusion of a written contract in the interests of both parties.



The roommate lease, or collocation,  involves a contract  between 2 or more persons and a landlord. The term "collocation" means that the occupants are all signatories of the contract that binds the landlord and that they are liable in equal shares.

In this type of contract, if one or other of the roommates move out and wants to divest its "part" of the contract, the lessor is under no obligation to enter into a contract with a newcomer.

In the latter case the tenant must submit to his landlord, a person acceptable solvent and objectively, likely to resume its lease under the same conditions. However the landlord has no obligation to accept the candidate proposed to him, but if s/he refuses, s/he must release the tenant out of its contractual obligations as of the date on which the rejected candidate was prepared to take over the lease.

Discounts leases are usually offered only to persons on fixed incomes or guarantor in Switzerland. In the canton of Geneva, it is customary to ask for a bank guarantee equal to three months' rent without utilities.

The outgoing tenant may also offer to put the furniture in the flat for a lump sum payment. The new tenant is not obliged to accept.

Useful Search engines and Websites



World Radio Switzerland

Société des régisseurs genevois 

Tout l'immobilier 

Centre d'accueil Genève Internationale 

Click Lodge 





Genève Home Informations (GHI) 





Transports Publics Genevois (TPG) 

Aéroport international de Genève 

Trafic aérien (Aéroport de Genève) 

CFF - Chemins de fer fédéraux suisses 





Office du tourisme - Genève 

Site officiel de la Ville de Genève 

Plan de Genève 


Informative Brochure about Studying at the University of Geneva


For more information please follow the link of the BUREAU DES LOGEMENTS ET RESTAURANTS UNIVERSITAIRES

Tél. : 022.379.77.20

Fax : 022.379 77 85

E-mail :

Monday to Friday: 10h à 13h - 14h à 16h


Last update 16.11.2011